Assistant Farm Manager Bi-Rite Market
- Date Posted May 21, 2011
- Location Sonoma, CA
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Part-Time
At Bi-Rite Market, we don’t just sell food – we celebrate it. We’re a destination for artisanal-produced groceries, restaurant-quality prepared foods and catering, organic and local produce, sustainably raised meats, poultry, and seafood, fine wines, liquors, and beer, as well as unique gifts. Our knowledgeable staff is always eager to provide help, advice, and even samples to our guests. We make it easy for you to know where your food comes from and how it was grown or raised, ensuring that you feel confident about the purchases you make.
MISSION OF BI-RITE
In order to better understand where are our food comes from and the work that farmers do to feed us, we operate our own Sonoma farm, Placerville orchard and San Francisco garden. The Sonoma farm gives Bi-Rite the opportunity to educate the staff and community, by giving them a chance to get their hands in the soil. The amazing fruits and vegetables are used in plethora of ways from being highlighted in the deli dishes to the shelves of the produce department. We also have seasonal staff dinners and share it with our community at 18 Reason events.
The Assistant Farm Manager (AFM) works in close partnership with the farm manager to operate the 2 farm plots (1.3 acres) in Sonoma. S/he is responsible for assisting the farm manager with tilling the fields and preparing the soil, timely planting and watering of seeds and transplants, weeding and basic farm maintenance, harvesting and washing crops, properly packaging and storing vegetables. The AFM will assist in the training and staff development of Bi-Rite Market workers and 18 Reason members who offer day labor. Additional responsibilities include starting up the chicken coop and maintaining a healthy environment for the chickens to produce eggs.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate with Farm manger about daily farm operations
- Conductdaily farming operations; till fields, create planting rows, sow & germinate seeds, water, weed and harvest
- Responsible to make quick and timely decisions regarding crop maintenance(planting, watering, weeding, and harvesting) to assure high quality produce
- Set-upand take apart drip irrigation as needed
- Operate small tractor and tiller
- Deliver produce to Bi-Rite Market when needed (maybe once a week)
- Assist farm manger in training and staff development of volunteer workers
- Help start and maintain small chicken coop for egg production
- Experience planting, weeding and harvesting row crops.
- Experience operating a drip irrigation system.
- Passion for farming and learning about farming.
- High energy, gregarious, friendly.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Resourceful, adaptable, thinks quickly on feet.
- Be willing to work hard, with consistency and accuracy.
- Works with a sense of urgency in extreme conditions.
Physical Requirements: Continuous carrying/transporting of loads greate rthan 50 lbs; intermittent standing, walking, reaching, and carrying loadsbetween 15-50 lbs; occasional climbing, stooping, twisting and fine manipulation. Occasional environmental exposure to cold, heat and water, and rare exposure to dust and fumes. Use of machinery including, but not limited to tractors, tillers. Use of knives and other harvesting and weeding equipment required.
Seasonal Work Scehdule:
June-September; 33-40 hours /wk
Oct-Dec; 24-30 hours/wk