- Date Posted October 24, 2014
- Location San Francisco, CA
- Category Culinary
- Job Type Full-Time
-Are you ready to stop working restaurant hours but want to stay connected in the food industry?
-Are you interested in sharing your culinary skills and kitchen knowledge to a food business incubator program?
-Have you ever opened up a restaurant or consulted in a restaurant launch/build-out?
-Do you enjoy hosting culinary workshops and cooking demos?
-Do you love food and willing to taste anything?
-Are you Bilingual and speak Spanish (a must)?
If you said yes to all of these, then this could be a tasty and rewarding career for you!
We are La Cocina, ("The Kitchen"), a nonprofit, full-service, shared use commercial kitchen (2200 Sq. feet) and business incubator. The goal of La Cocina is to assist low-income entrepreneurs, primarily women, immigrants and people from communities of color, in becoming economically self-sufficient by providing: (1) a fully approved and equipped commercial kitchen they can use for the development and ongoing preparation of their business; (2) professional food industry technical assistance designed to improve their business operations, market penetration, profit, economic scale and sustainability; (3) access to new markets and (4) access to capital.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Full Time, exempt position.
Hours are Tuesday -- Saturday 8 am -- 4 pm
With occasional night and weekend requirements
The position primarily leads the program's culinary training and technical assistance curriculum and manages the operation of the kitchen facility and the client's usage of the kitchen. Duties include but are not limited to:
• Curriculum: Work closely with program managers to lead and implement the culinary product curriculum for the incubator program participants: identifying a clear and strategic product strategy that allows them to grow their business until and through the graduation exit process, facilitate access to specific market opportunities, connect participants to culinary volunteers and supervise on these activities and product strategy business benchmarks.
• Culinary Support: Provide culinary instruction for proper and safe use of kitchen equipment, enforce sanitary food handling methods and kitchen policies and procedures. Monitor that clients are in compliance with kitchen policies and procedures and maintain relevant records according to the laws set forth by the State and the City of San Francisco Department of Public Health.
• Kitchen Management: Manage inventory of kitchen and cleaning supplies, oversee and schedule facility and kitchen equipment repair and maintenance, manage janitorial/maintenance staff and assist Operations Director in supervising kitchen schedule and ensuring proper billing is met
Culinary Program Curriculum (50% of Culinary Program and Kitchen Manager's Time)
Specific duties include, but are not limited to;
• Design, implement and execute culinary curriculum
o Provide one-on-one and group technical assistance courses to all program participants, scheduled and on an as-needed basis.
o Teach classes to include: costing, product strategy, food sourcing, menu psychology, recipe development, production scaling, invoicing, etc.
o Schedule, design and execute culinary skills workshops and lead cooking classes, hands-on and theoretical.
o Train all businesses, employees and volunteers on kitchen safety, rules, regulations and sanitation, execute orientations and ensure routine communication.
• Reporting for programmatic metrics
o Develop SOPs and efficiencies when leading and providing hands-on technical assistance in workshops, clients' catering, wholesale, La Cocina events, restaurant and product launches, and graduation exit strategies.
o Maintain careful record of hours spent working with participants and volunteers so that La Cocina can track program effectiveness and value.
• Extended learning and market opportunities
o Recruit and manage culinary volunteers and supervise that participants' meet their benchmarks.
o Connect with food industry mentors, externships, etc to create opportunities for participating businesses.
o Connect to and manage externship program for new participants.
o Support the graduation process and assist in developing a culinary/launch exit strategy for the participants transitioning to their own kitchens or restaurants.
Facility Operations and Maintenance (50% of Culinary Program and Kitchen Manager's Time)
Specific duties include, but are not limited to;
• Operation and management of all equipment, facility, and utilities
o Keep records up to date and manage licenses for adherence to all city, state and federal requirements for commercial kitchen facilities
o Manage relationships between all service providers and contractors involved in the facility and facility maintenance
o Manage and oversee janitorial staff and independent contractors
• Managing General Kitchen Use
o Responsible for training all users of the facility on operations, safety and maintenance
o Responsible for maintaining and training all users on proper food safety and sanitation techniques
o Responsible for client records as it pertains to usage of the kitchen and permits
o Responsible for managing flow of kitchen user production, organization and cleanliness of storage areas
• Assist Operations Manager
o production scheduling, as needed
o managing Sonitrol keycard system and access to building, as needed
o Reporting to Operations Manager in the management of the budget for all kitchen and facility-related expenses Compensation this position is : salaried How to apply