- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Farm Production Manager Gritt's Farm
- Date Posted January 10, 2019
- Location Buffalo, WV
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
Our mission is to inspire people to eat healthy food, learn about their food system, and enjoy moments interacting with others in a family farm setting.
What we do
The Farm is located on two separate production areas. Our home farm located in the hills of Buffalo, WV, utilizes 2 acres of greenhouse for hydroponic tomato, pepper, cucumber and lettuce production as well as annual, perennial, and tree and shrub production for our retail garden center and market outlets. We operate a farm market at our home farm as well as multiple mobile markets, a daily booth at the Capitol Market in Charleston, and a CSA program with deliveries occurring throughout the week. In the fall, we transition our home farm into an agritourism destination with corn mazes, hay ride wagons, and more.
Produce Food. We cultivate 60 to 70 acres of mixed vegetable crops using. Crops grown include sweet corn, green beans, tomatoes, peppers, and more.Job description
Farm Production Manager Position Overview
As a skilled member of our Production Crew with demonstrable field leadership experience, you will have the opportunity to work within all aspects of our operation, including in the field, pack shed, hydroponic production, and occasional order and market delivery. With proper training and oversight, you will lead the harvest crew, and field-work/ hydroponic projects such as transplanting, hand-weeding, and irrigating. Based on experience and aptitude, you will be trained to operate machinery and use implements for harvest and cultivation. In addition, you will work in the propagation houses as well as participate in post-harvest handling, CSA packing, cleaning and deliveries.
We harvest, wash, and pack product daily for our retail markets, CSA program, wholesale, and restaurant accounts. Strong attention to detail and operating efficiently while performing time-sensitive tasks in a rapidly changing environment are a must for this position.
Our operation functions at a very unique scale requiring a great deal of manual labor as well as sophisticated mechanization. This is a seasonal, hourly position with 5-6 day work weeks and up to 60 hours/week at peak season, with reduced hours in the slower months. Opportunity for year-round employment is strong for the right candidate.
Farm Production Crew Leader Job Responsibilities
- Harvesting of produce quickly, efficiently, and consistently for a variety of accounts
- Transplanting crops quickly and efficiently
- Cultivation of crops by hand and with various equipment
- Irrigation set up and maintenance
- Mechanical pest control
- Tracking and Documenting a number of details related to each crop
- Field construction, such as trellising and high tunnels
- Grass mowing and weed whacking
Post-Harvest Handling and Processing
- Post-harvest handling, including receiving and processing of produce quickly, efficiently, and consistently for a variety of accounts
- Consistently rotating stock and maintaining product inventory
- Communicating with the appropriate project lead, either the Pack Shed Coordinator or Farm Sales Coordinator, when issues arise that impact order fulfillment or CSA pack out
- Packing CSA Shares
- Pack Shed Safety upkeep and hygiene cleanliness
- Delivering orders
General Farm Production Team:
- Act as a crew leader to track project time and communicate with Assistant Farm Manager and Pack Shed Coordinator regarding project-specific information
- Working and tracking within GAPS/FSMA food safety regulations
- Maintaining a smooth, timely flow with team members while working through projects
- Making sound judgment calls on product grading and time management
- Minimum 1 years production farm experience
- Small engine operation and tractor experience
- Crew management experience
- Ability to give direction and perform in a leadership capacity
- Physical dexterity and agility necessary in all aspects of the job for safety and efficiency
- Punctual with good time management skills
- Consistent attention to detail
- Positive, energetic interpersonal skills
- Strong back: able to lift heavy & awkward objects, up to 75 lbs.
- Work well independently and in a team setting
- Fast, adaptable learner
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity, and accept constructive feedback on work and technique
- Clear, consistent communication
- Flexibility within a multicultural, dynamic organization
- Ability to work for long durations in inclement weather- standing, sitting, bending over, or kneeling
- Capability to perform repetitive physical work with endurance
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus
Additional desired qualities include: environmentally conscious, detail oriented, self-motivated, energetic, and professional.
The Gritt’s production team is part of a larger farming organization. A commitment to Gritt’s overall mission and working as part of a team is critical.
This is a seasonal, full-time position, paying $13-$15 per hour, DOE, with some paid time-off and weekly CSA share. Opportunity for year-round employment for the right candidate.
Housing Available- negotiable upon hiring
Farm Production Crew Leader Reports To: Assistant Farm Manager with oversight from the Farm Manager.Compensation this position is : salaried, varies DOE, $30,000.00 - $45,000.00 Work visa This employer is willing to sponsor a work visa for international applicants Application instructions